Where to get help

Contributed by Margie Rowe, Anna Theodore, Rosa Grahame and Elinor Knaggs and current to March 2022

Legal Aid ACT

Anyone can seek free help from Legal Aid’s duty lawyers:
  • At the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia from 10-3pm each day;
  • At the Magistrates Court (Family Violence and Personal Protection Orders Unit) from 9-1pm each day (afternoons by appointment only) – phone 1300 654 314 for an appointment or just drop in;
  • In the Legal Aid office at 2 Allsop St Canberra City;
  • By telephoning the Helpline on 1300 654 314;
  • Further assistance may be available to people with family violence and family law matters through Legal Aid’s Family Advocacy and Support Service. Duty Lawyers can refer clients to this program;
  • Legal representation for people who qualify for legal assistance. Phone (02) 6243 3411 for further information. Legal Aid application forms are available in the Legal Aid office or at any of the Duty Lawyer services. They are not available online.
2 Allsop Street, Canberra ACT 2600

The Women’s Legal Centre (ACT & Region) provides assistance to women in family law and family violence matters. They also run a specialist clinic for women who wish to divorce and were were married overseas.

Tel: (02) 6257 4377 or 1800 634 669

Website: https://wlc.org.au/

Mail: GPO Box 1726 Canberra City ACT 2601

The Law Society of the ACT

There are many private lawyers who provide help with Family Law. The ACT Law Society can provide contact details of lawyers who specialise in this field.

Tel: (02) 6274 0300

Website: https://www.actlawsociety.asn.au/for-the-public/legal-help

Level 4, 1 Farrell Place, Canberra City

Care Consumer Law

Care Consumer Law is a community legal centre that provides free legal assistance to people in the ACT. Care Consumer Law can assist with financial budgeting and planning and in negotiations with mortgagees and lenders while parties are working out their property settlement.

Tel: (01) 6143 0044

Website: https://www.carefcs.org/consumer-law-centre

Mail: GPO Box 2951 Canberra Act

Ground floor, 19-23 Moore Street Turner ACT

Private lawyers

There are quite a lot of private law firms and lawyers who specialise in family law. An internet search will give a comprehensive list. Alternatively, you can search for a family lawyer on the Law Society of the ACT’s website. Some private lawyers give free or reduced price first appointments.

Services Australia (for Child Support matters)

Tel: 131 272 (8:30-4:45pm Monday to Friday) or 1800 241 272

Website: https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/contact-child-support & https://findus.servicesaustralia.gov.au/


Family Court Enquiries

Tel: 1300 352 000
More information about contact details and a live chat service are here:

ACT Magistrates and Supreme Court

For ACT Family Violence Orders (Magistrates Court) or adoption matters (Supreme Court).

General Enquiries: (02) 6205 0000

Protection Matters: (02) 6205 4939 or protection@courts.act.gov.au

Website: https://www.courts.act.gov.au/contact

4-6 Knowles Place, Canberra City.

Federal Circuit and Family Court (Canberra)

The Court has the information and forms required to apply for a divorce, property or parenting orders.

Tel: 1300 352 000 (urgent after hours 1300 352 000)

Website: https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au

Nigel Bowen Commonwealth Law Courts, Cnr University Ave & Childers St, Canberra ACT

Attorney-General’s Department

The A-G’s Department has information on and for marriage celebrants and the requirements for a valid marriage.
Address: 3-5 National Circuit, Barton ACT
Tel: 1800 550 343

Website: https://www.ag.gov.au/familiesandmarriage/marriage/pages/default.aspx

3-5 National Circuit, Barton ACT

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

DFAT has information about overseas marriages and may be able to assist to locate lawyers specialising in overseas marriage.
Address: Address: R.G. Casey Building, John McEwen Crescent, Barton ACT
Tel: (02) 6261 1111

Website: https://www.dfat.gov.au/contact-us

R.G. Casey Building, John McEwen Crescent, Barton ACT

Domestic Violence Crisis Service

Tel:6280 0900 (24/7 Crisis Line) or (02) 6280 6999 (Office)

SMS: 0421 268 492

Online chat service: https://dvcs.org.au/chat-process/

Confidential contact form: https://dvcs.org.au/confidential-contact/

If your situation is life-threatening or you are in immediate danger call the Police on 000.

Mail: PO Box 1922 Fyshwick ACT

Email: crisis@dvcs.org.au

Website: https://dvcs.org.au/contact/contacts/

Relationships Australia

Relationships Australia provides nationwide assistance to individuals, families and communities when there are relationship difficulties. This organisation also conducts FDR processes. Please contact Relationships Australia for more information.
Tel: 1300 364 277

Relationships Australia provides nationwide assistance to individuals, families and communities when there are relationship difficulties. This organisation also conducts FDR processes.

Tel: 1300 364 277 or (02) 6122 7100 (Canberra Relationships Australia)

Contact form: https://www.racr.org.au/contact-us/contact

Website: http://www.racr.org.au/ & https://racr.org.au/locations/canberra/deakin

14 Napier Close Deakin ACT

Conflict Resolution Service

CRS provides further advice regarding mediation and FDR Processes. Please contact CRS for more information.
Address: Level 2 & Level 3 Griffin Centre20 Genge Street, Canberra City ACT 2600
Tel: 6189 0590 (main office)

Email: admin@crs.org.au

Contact form: https://crs.org.au/about-crs/contact-us/

Website: https://crs.org.au/

1/32-38 Townshend Street Phillip Act

Tel: (02) 6287 2226

Help request form: https://menslink.org.au/forms/get-help/

Email: info@menslink.org.au

Grant Cameron Centre, 27 Mulley Street Holder ACT

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding AustLII Communities? Send feedback
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine