Useful Contacts

Contributed by Amy Bascombe and current to March 2022

Legal Aid ACT provides free advice and help about Family Violence Orders, Personal and Workplace Protection Orders. You can call to make a free appointment to see a lawyer or drop into the Legal Aid Domestic Violence and Personal Protection Unit at the Magistrates Court. Except in very urgent cases, applications for Orders have to be made before 11.30am each morning so it is important to come to court as early as possible if you need an order on the day.

Domestic Violence and Personal Protection Orders Unit

Address: Level 2 (outside Court 5), ACT Magistrates Court, 4 Knowles Place, Canberra
Tel: (02) 6207 1874


If you have questions about Family Violence Orders, Personal or Workplace Protection Orders or other legal issues (including financial assistance for victims of crime, migration law and family law issues (children and property), you can also call the Legal Aid Helpline any weekday from 9am to 4pm.
Address: 2 Allsop Street, Canberra City
Tel: 1300 654 314.

Family Law Duty Service (FLDS)

Every weekday from 10am until 3pm, a lawyer from Legal Aid ACT works from the Family Court and provides family law advice on a drop-in basis. You do not have to be eligible for Legal Aid to use this service, and do not need to make an appointment. Please call the Helpline for further information.
Address: Family Court Canberra, Cnr University Avenue and Childers Street, Canberra City
Tel: 1300 654 314.

The Law Society of the ACT

There are many private lawyers who provide help with Family Violence Orders or Personal or Workplace Protection Orders. Contact the ACT Law Society for the contact details of lawyers who work in this field.
Address: Level 4, 1 Farrell Place, Canberra City
Tel: (02) 6274 0300

Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS)

DVCS court support workers provide ongoing practical support throughout the Family Violence Order (FVO) application process. Workers assist clients to fill in application paperwork, provide procedural advice and safety planning, support clients in Court and advocate for clients with other relevant services or authorities. DVCS also links clients up with other supports such as legal advice, legal representation, public advocacy and emergency childcare.
Tel: 02 6280 0900 (24 Hour Crisis Line)
Tel: 0408 006 616 (Court Advocacy Service)

The Women’s Legal Centre provides free legal advice and assistance on a range of matters including Family Violence Orders.
Tel: 6247 4399 – (Intake and Advice Line is open 9am– 5pm Weekdays)

Conflict Resolution Service (CRS)

CRS provides free, confidential dispute resolution and mediation services in the ACT. They have a free advice line which operates during business hours.
Address: 1/32-38 Townshend Street, Phillip, ACT
Tel: (02) 6189 0590

Monday-Thursday 9:30am-4:30pm

Relationships Australia

Relationship Australia provides specialist family violence counselling. Relationships Australia also runs the Canberra Family Relationship Centre that provides family dispute resolution (mediation) to help separating families achieve workable parenting arrangements outside the court system. Fees may be charged according to your income.
Address: 15 Napier Close, Deakin ACT 2600
Tel: 1300 364 277

Women’s Health Service

The Women’s Health Service offers free nursing, medical, nutrition, and counselling services to vulnerable women in the ACT and region. They have counsellors and other health professionals with expertise in helping people who have experienced violence who work across Canberra.
Address: Level 1, ACT Health Building, 1 Moore St Canberra City
Tel: (02) 5124 1787

Victim Support ACT

If you have been a victim of a crime, you can seek support, information and referrals from Victim Support ACT. Available help may include court support, referrals for counselling and help making an application under the Victims of Crime Financial Assistance Scheme.
Address: Level 2, 11 Moore St, Canberra City
Tel: 1800 822 272 or (02) 6205 2066

ACT Police

ACT Police can speak to you about safety concerns and in some circumstances, can apply for a Family Violence Order on your behalf. If you have been granted an interim Family Violence Order, you can call the police to ask if the respondent has been served yet.
Tel: 131 444

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding AustLII Communities? Send feedback
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine