Contacts and Resources

Based on the contribution of Michael Clothier, Accredited Immigration Law Specialist, as amended by Er-kai Wang, registered migration agent and Associate Lecturer at the ANU College of Law and current to 19 July 2018

NOTE: Readers should be aware that the Migration legislation changes frequently. Before using the information listed here, we recommend that you check if the law is still current by seeking advice from a migration agent or visiting the Department of Home Affairs' website.

For Information

The following agencies provide free information about immigration matters. Only registered migration agents or lawyers with a current practising certificate can provide immigration assistance or immigration legal assistance.

The Department of Home Affairs

National Office
6 Chan Street
Belconnen ACT 2617
Tel: 02 6264 1111 (Switchboard)

Canberra - Visa and Citizenship Office
ACT and Regions Office
3 Lonsdale Street Braddon ACT 2612

2 Allsop Street
Canberra City 2601
Tel: 1300 654 314 (does not advise on student and skilled visas)

Level 4, 1 Farrell Place
Canberra City ACT 2601
Tel: 02) 6274 0300 (free 15 minute consultations and only by appointments)

Migration Agents Registration Authority

If you want to visit or stay in Australia, or sponsor someone to visit or stay in Australia, you can get help with the visa process from a registered migration agent. To locate a private agent, see

Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)

On 1 July 2015, the Migration Review Tribunal and the Refugee Review Tribunal merged with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Most of the merits review applications related to migration are heard by the Migration and Refugee Division (MRD) of the AAT. For cancellation decisions concerning business visas, or visa refusal or cancellation on the ground of character, those matters are heard by the General Division (GD).

Migration and Refugee Division
Level 8, 14 Moore St
Canberra ACT 2601
Tel: 1800 228 333

Translating and Interpreting Service

The Australian Government, through the department of Home Affairs, provides a Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) for people who do not speak English and for English speakers needing to communicate with them. TIS is a national service, and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to any person or organisation in Australia requiring interpreting assistance. It is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call.

Tel: 13 14 50
This service is available Australia-wide, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding AustLII Communities? Send feedback
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine