What to do if you think you have defamed someone

Contributed by Susan Platis, Legal Aid ACT and Ben Aulich (https://aulich.com.au/) and current to June 2018.

Seek legal advice. Apologising or retracting won’t necessarily constitute admission of liability (s132 Civil Law (Wrongs) Act) and it can help avoid litigation or reduce damages. If you receive a notice claiming you have defamed someone you should seek legal advice to best understand your rights should it proceed (see Early Resolution).

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding AustLII Communities? Send feedback
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine